History
Centennial
Businesses
Links
Email
Home
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Bit of History:
Claire City New Effington 1913-1988
(excerpts taken from book)

Rumors in 1911 were of a railroad coming to the area.  A man names Mr. Julius Rosholt came here to organize and form a cooperative of farmers and businessmen.  Each farmer living within a certain area, north and south of the proposed railroad was asked to pay $200 per quarter to start this venture.  The farmers were very willing to do this, as hauling grain 20 miles was a big task.

The railroad became a reality by the fall of 1913, with tracks being built from Fairmont, ND to Veblen.  Within a couple of years, the farmers were bought out by the Soo Line Railroad receiving 50 cents on a dollar for their shares.

Before the railroad was finished, a townsite was picked and "lots" were sold.  Corner lots on Main Street were selling close to $500.  The original townsite land was owned by Edward and Laura Odden and Andrew and Lydia Nordlund, who then sold it to Rosholt Securities (Julius Rosholt). On the day of selling of "lots", a band from Minneapolis provided the entertainment.  P.A. Dahl's dray wagon was used as a stage.

When the railroad came, the townspeople of Effington, located five miles southwest of Hart Township, realized the necessity of moving closer to the railroad.  Crews came from Aberdeen with horses and steam engines to help with moving.

With a new town come the problem of naming it.  This was quite simple.  They decided to put NEW in from of Effington, which was named for Effie Staffer Pratt, one of the few women who secured a homestead.

1914 Population: 100

- - Town Board Minutes - -

The first town minutes to be recorded were in May of 1914, and some of the interesting items were: Lewis Monson was chosen president, T.C. Thompson and S. Arneson were members.  A.L. Casey was assessor; H.O. Less, justice of peace; A.G. Johnson, secretary; and P.A. Dahl, constable and street commissioner, for which he got paid five dollars for constable fee and 30 cents an hour for street cleaning.  They met every two weeks in the beginning.  The corporate seal cost $2.43, which was purchased in September, 1914.  Otto Zeller was paid $390 to build the town fire hall and the lot cost $430.

In 1915, Geo. Harris, John L. Moen (half a year) and G. A. Rud were members. Elais Monson was justice of the peace; Haugan Larson, constable; and John Paulson, street commissioner.  That year, they purchased the following fire equipment: cart, bell - $10 and 500 ft. of hose - $300.  Everyone on Main Street that year was asked to put in sidewalks.

Three jail cells were brought from Aberdeen for $75 in 1916.  August Jensen was the new chairman and 500ft. more of hose was purchased.  Four street lamps had been purchased, but the town would only provide the gas for them.

The board chose to have Patriotic Day on May 17, 1918, at the Woodman Hall.

Major changes that have happened through the years.  Electricity was provided at first by a plant which was located on the west end of Main Street.  In 1930, Otter Tail took over servicing the town and some rural areas with electricity, so the plant was closed. The sewer system was installed in 1953, which was a great improvement.  The former Peoples State Bank building was purchased in 1937, by the town and converted into a Municipal Liquor Store.  A larger facility was needed and a metal building with a wood front was added to the west.  A more efficient water system was needed, a bond issue was passed in 1975 and lines were laid in 1976.

A small town located 20 northeast of Sisseton, SD and 27 miles southwest of Fairmont, ND

New Effington celebrated its Diamond Jubilee: July 2-3, 1988

Website and Images Copyright 2008 Town of New Effington, South Dakota.  All rights reserved.
Website Design by KJ's Designs - Keeping it Simple.  Making it Happen.